Monday, January 11, 2010

22 Things I’ve Learned Since I was Laid off from my Job.

1. I don't like to get up early.
2. The name of my dry cleaner (Mrs. Kim), my deli guy (Cobby) the guy at the Mobile station (Nguyen), and the homeless/mentally challenged fellow who pushes a cart in my sister's neighborhood (Van). They all have names...and stories.
3. I don't set the heat at 72 degrees anymore. 67 degrees with a light fleece on is just fine, thank you.
4. Chicago city streets are just as busy in the middle of a weekday as they are any other time.
5. Friends and family really do "get it" that things are tight.
6. I have learned to cook. Quite well, in fact.
7. I had to let my cleaning lady go. Now I clean our own place. I even make the little triangles on the toilet paper.
8. Jewel restocks the wine aisle on Tuesdays.
9. The assisted living bus brings the seniors to my grocery store on Sundays - early afternoon. One lady, Silvia - is 4'9. I've helped her reach the top shelf on several occasions.
10. People like homemade stuff. Food, cards, whatever...they like it.
11. If you leave a good impression with your former coworkers - they will remember you.
12. I grow my own herbs - and bring them in over the winter.
13.I can make four meals out of one chicken.
14. A fire in the fireplace is really a nice thing to watch. Especially when you get really good at it. I am now the Fire Whisperer!
15. I spend a hell of a lot of money at the grocery store. (Quicken showed me that!)
16. My house isn't any cleaner now, then when I was working full-time.
17. I've learned to give myself manicures. I don't even have to tip!
18. If you flirt with the deli guy (Cobby) -and visit each day, he will give you Costco type samples of anything you want!
19. I painted our condo with my husband instead of hiring someone. We had fun and learned teamwork skills.
20. Grocery store brands are just as good as name brands and "Buy 1 Get 1 Free," has a whole new meaning.
21.Public transportation isn't so bad - I've seen a lot of things walking to the El that I would have missed taking a cab.
22. I don't like getting up early.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again...just another reason why you should write a book. Then you wouldn't be unemployed anymore. Seriously.....you are missing your calling.

Anonymous said...

If your house isn't any cleaner than when you worked full time, what does that say about your former cleaning lady? :)